Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dont question my fanhood in front of the ladies..

In my previous post I told you that I was about to have to select one of the two main teams in Buenos Aires, River or Boca.  Friday (the 22nd) was my deadline and I chose to pledge my fanhood for the time that I am here to the Boca Juniors.  Despite what many people may think, much thought went into this decision.  I researched both teams, and basically just like Boca's story more...or dislike River's. Boca was started by five Italian immigrants in the heart of the barrio named La Boca.  Boca is said to be the team of the working class in Buenos Aires and its stadium is located in one of the poorer neighborhoods in BA.  On the contrary, River is know as the "millionaires."  Back in the 30's they paid an unheard of sum of gold to "steal" a player from the team in Tigre, which earned them this nickname.  This is sort of ironic because when Lionel Messi (maybe you've heard of him) was up and coming, he had a growth hormone deficiency and River would not sign him because they wouldn't pay for his medical bills.  This is why he plays for Barcelona now, instead of in his home country.  I kind of think of River as the equivalent of the New York Yankees here...and I hate the Yankees.  So these are a few reasons why I chose Boca, in case any of you are interested.  Obviously my affinity to Boca is not that strong but I was literally forced to choose one of these teams so now I am officially a Boca fan.

1 comment:

  1. haha your posts crack me up john mark-
    ps- i hate the yankees too. GO RANGERS!!!! (in other news, one of the guys on Tokyo team is a hardcore yankees fan...and i'm a rangers/dodgers fan...it's pretty entertaining)
    pps- let me know if y'all have any specific prayer requests!

    ReplyDelete